MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

I have an automotive business in Shreveport, Louisiana. I am

I have an automotive business in Shreveport, Louisiana. I am wondering about being able to charge storage fees on vehicles left for extended periods. The majority of the jobs performed are strictly luxury or cosmetic and is seldom on the person's primary vehicle. I have a completely fenced in yard with privacy fence, and absolutely no access from the street. Several of the vehicles require being stored inside. What can I charge?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, so long as the storage fee is disclosed prior to customers retaining your services, you can charge whatever fee you consider reasonable. The point is the customer must agree to it prior to placing the care in your care.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The vehicles in question have long been completed. I am unable to get them picked up due to it not being the customer's primary vehicle. We work on antique and specialty cars, and we are being USED as a storage facility. I don't want to be held responsible for these cars being left so long after completion. I am wanting to be able to charge a storage fee to prompt the customer to pick them up. What am I able to do?
ok, you need to send the owners of the vehicles a letter via certified mail requesting the immediate retrieval of the vehicles, and in any event, not more than 15 days after receipt of the communication, indicating that after the 15th day, a storage fee of ______ per day will be applied.