Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I run a business in Canada. I am considering reselling software

I run a business in Canada. I am considering reselling software on eBay for a profit, but am unsure as to the exact origin of this software. I was told it was legitimate genuine software, but the prices I can get it for make me wonder. The source is in China. I am wondering what could happen if it turns out that this software is not legitimate but copied software and I have been selling it on eBay. Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law, so what does the law state about this sort of thing? Who is "at fault" if it turns out that it is not legitimate and what are the possible repurcussions?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
What can happen is that there are companies who specifically search for those selling software like you mention and they will sue you for copyright and trademark infringement and if it is found that you have an illegal copy of the software it could cost you thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages for selling this and you would be at fault.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the quick answer. I hear you loud and clear, but the licenses are apparently genuine and they validate and update online just fine. They have been tested before, so they seem to be legit licenses. Can you point me to any cases where this has happened before to eBay sellers? I'm hoping my situation is different than theirs.
It happens so frequently that we get at least 3 customers here a week who have received letters from these companies demanding damages and any remaining copies of the software. As far as the licenses being genuine you still need to be cautious because they many times are knock off licenses and the software also may not be for resale in Canada or the US. Again, you are taking a risky chance here that the software is bootleg or pirated software.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow, 3 customers a week? Are these end users you see, or sellers? Do the software companies send a cease and desist letter, or go straight to the lawsuit? Meaning, is there any warning?

If you have dealt with sellers of these software products, have they had to pay damages or did they just cease the illegal selling?

Thank you very much for your advice, it is very enlightening!
Sellers. The software companies employ law firms that search eBay and similar sites for potential violations, they may even buy a copy and test it to see if it is legitimate and then they send the letter. Additionally, when you read these licenses they specifically prohibit the common law right of resale, which means that even if you are selling the legitimate copy they hit you with a violation because your license says you cannot resell the license and you must be an authorized software dealer. In some cases the law firm will settle for you sending them proof of how many you sold and any profit you made from the sale and the remaining copies you have and in other cases these firms will file suit and it can get very costly depending on how many copies you have sold and have remaining for sale.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.