Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My husband and I work as software consultants in healthcare.

My husband and I work as software consultants in healthcare. We would like to form our own company rather than acting as employees of other consulting firms. We want to better understand the differences between LLC, S Corp or Corp.

A major incentive is that we can control our income and benefits.

One of our most important concerns is that our personal assets are protected and separate from the company.

What are key differences in the types of company we can build and is there a reliable online source for us to review?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The LLC is the newer version of the S-Corp (they are both pretty much the same thing) They are "flow through" entities for tax purposes. What this means is that all profits/losses are shared by the members based on their percentage of ownership and are claimed on their personal income taxes. The LLC files a tax return, but doesn't pay taxes they issue a K-1 form to each member (like a 1099) and this is how the members file their taxes. This avoids the double taxation issue with corporations where the corporation pays taxes and then the owners pay tax on any money they take from the corporation.

The LLC is also easier to operate with less paperwork and less formality. It merely requires a membership agreement and holding one meeting per year to keep corporate books, keeping a separate account for money and in these cases the corporate veil protects anyone from coming after the members of the LLC for debts of the LLC (as long as you make no personal guarantees).

The C-corp requires issuing stock making shareholders, appointing a board of directors, keeping corporate minutes of all director meetings. For the most part for a small business this is much more complex than necessary.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.