Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Garnishment of an LLC account for personal debt . I had an

"Garnishment of an LLC account for personal debt". I had an injury last year that made me unable to work. I am being sued for the x-ray bill from the hospital. The Hospital had put me on a financial hardship program and said the bills would be covered, but this one apparently was not. If the collector's attorney gets a judgment on me and attempts to garnish my bank account, can he garnish a business account that I am just a signatory on? It's my son's LLC and I am just the registered agent and a signatory on his business account. He also has a personal account that I am on as well. Can they garnish accounts that are not "soley mine". I have no ownership in the business.
If your name is XXXXX XXXXX the LLC or if it is and they do not get permission from the court to pierce the corporate veil, then they cannot garnish the account just because you are a signatory. Also, if they place liens on accounts where you are a co-owner, then the co-owner would have grounds to have the lien removed based on proof you do not own the account.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.