Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Tenant & I are in a suit on an easement I have started with

Customer Question

Tenant & I are in a suit on an easement I have started with him. He has rented this land from me for the last 10 years. In order for me to get to this land of mine I need to go accross his ground.This is why I have rented the land to him.
For the last three years the layers have been handling & advising us what to do.
For some reason the tenant says that I or one of the lawyers told him that he could not farm this land. He did not and he would not let me go across his ground to farm it either.
I say that he still owes me rent for the ground because he did not give me proper notice the he did not want to farm it.
Submitted: 6 years ago via LegalMatch.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

If you have a written lease, you're entitled to receive rent for the lease. However, if there is no written lease, any lease would be based on what you agreed to orally. But, oral contracts are only good for 12 months. Thus, an oral agreement cannot be renewed automatically unless you make new oral agreements year to year.

Therefore, if you never entered into a lease for the years you're talking about, he doesn't owe you any rent.