Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

can a landlord keep consignment inventory of a supplier, after

can a landlord keep consignment inventory of a supplier, after locking a retail business owner out of their store for non-payment of long will it be for an answer?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

The landlord cannot assert a landlord's lien on property that does not belong to the tenant.Thus the consignment inventory is required to be released to the consignor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if this is a true fact , what is the next step for me (legally) as I was told the landlord has sold part or all my consigned inventory..

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
The rightful owner of the consigned property would need to file a replevin action against the landlord

Replevin is an action to recover personal property that was wrongfully taken.

The purpose of a replevin action is to recover the property itself, the property. In some instances, attorneys fees and costs may be awarded to the prevailing party.

You can retain an civil litigation attorney to file your replevin action.

If it is not possible for you to retain an attorney, you can copy the forms at your local law library or purchase the forms on line here:|lectlaw