Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

If your employment position is eliminated and you sign a severence

If your employment position is eliminated and you sign a severence package agreement relinquishing your rights to sue the company. Then,years later they sue you--is your defense minimized by the severence agreement from the standpoint that you cannot countersue?

How many years can a company sue you after leaving it or being eliminated in PA?
The standard severance agreement contains only a provision that the employee gives up all rights to sue the employer not the other way around. The reason for this is that the employer is giving the employee "consideration" to which they would not normally be entitled (money) in exchanged for the employee giving something up. To have the employer give up rights to sue when they are already giving the employee money that the employee is not normally entitled to would be giving more consideration than required and it is not done in most all circumstances. The most the employer could go back and sue the employee would be under breach of contract and in PA that is 4 years (unless you have a contract that was written AND under seal then it is 20 years), but normally employers do not go back and sue employees once they release them with a severance unless they sue them for breaching the severance agreement itself and the employee can sue for that as well because they are not waiving that right.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Paul:

The only agreements I signed were non-compete/confidentiality agreements.

If the former employer's product were to develop a problem down the road or if they wanted to go digging for a reson to sue to make some money was my only concern.

Can an employer sue for anything under the guise of negligence for example? Is it practical? What is their timeframe for such an action?

So really, all they could sue you over would be if you breach the non-compete/confidentiality agreement. They will not sue you for negligence for something you developed for them, you were working under their authority and they are responsible for your work (I have never seen this happen). But, assuming the worst, they would only have 2 years from the actual act of negligence.