Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I paid the freight to the shipping agent for the freight charges,

Customer Question

I paid the freight to the shipping agent for the freight charges, and when the ship arrived the documents showed freight to collect instead of freight prepaid. I had to pay it again

Please inform me how to go about recovering the freight charges, port charges,storages charges, as the cargo was in the port till I paid again FREIGHT CHARGES. I paid freight charges to the agent by cashiers check.

The agents and the shipping company had been negligent in handling this freight payment,and one is putting the blame on each other. Meantime I got my funds blocked, lost my customer(as it took 2 months to sort out the mess and pay the freight again before they shipping agent in Singapore released the cargo).

I am a resident of Houston Texas USA and I paid these out of my bank account, the shipping agent who arranged the freight is in Columbus OHIO and the shipping company has its branch in Columbus Ohio and agents all over the world.

Please advise
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. What do you want to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need my full freight charges which I paid twice which is $4663.00 (paid me $2000/- and $1000/-and the port charges/detantion charges are around $2000/- which I had to pay, as the shipping company was not releasing the documents to get the cargo out.

I lost my customer who was bonded to buy the goods once I cleared the goods from the port.(time was the essence in getting the goods across).

All the above are factual with documents to back.

The shipping agents and the shipping company has accepted the blame on emails to me and it took 2 months just to pay $3000/- and for two they have been delaying payments

Thanks and take care

jaffer
You are asking if you can sue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BREAK DOWN OF CLAIM FREIGHT TWICE PAID $4663.00
RECEIVED FROM AGENT 2000.00
RECEIVED FROM AGENT 1000.00
BALANCE DUE FREIGHT 1000.00
PORT DUMMURAGE/CONTAINER DETENTION CHARGES 2000.00(APPROX)
DUE TO NOT RELESE OF CARGO IMPORT LICENCE
EXPIRED AND HAD TO RENEWEL COST 300.00(APPROX)
COST OF CARGO 2 CONTAINERS AUTO PARTS 2,8000.00

TOTAL INVOLVED US$31,300.00
PLEASE ADVISE WHAT I AM LEGALLY DUE.THIS IS BIG SHIPPING COMPANY AND ITS AGENTS

tHANKS AND TAKE CARE

JAFFER
I am going to refer you to a colleague.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANKS
sure