How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a commercial lease expires, can the landlord change the

Customer Question

If a commercial lease expires, can the landlord change the locks in SC. She is keeping the security deposit for the heldover month.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
Under South Carolina law, If the commercial lease expired and the tenant failed to vacate by the deadline specificied under the lease agreement, then the landlord can either change the locks terminate the tenancy or charge the tenant for rent for the holdover period.

However, the landlord can't do both. In order to charge you rent, the landlord must provide access to the property. If the landlord has changed the locks, then that access has been denied.

If the landlord won't allow the tenant to retrieve property remaining on the premises, then the tenant will have to sue the landlord for "conversion" (which is the civil equivalent of criminal theft).

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are there any holdover procedures? We have not paid the rent and there is about $60,000 worth of inventory inside and the locks are changed. Can she return the deposit and keep the inventory inside. At this point we just want access to the property to remove our stuff.


Is there any recourse for entering the property?

Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
The holdover procedure is that she can charge you rent and apply the security deposit to that rent. If she has done that, then she cannot take away access. You've paid the right to access the property.

She has no claim to the property. She has a lien on the property as security for damage or unpaid rent. If there is no damage or unpaid rent, then she must release the property. Here failure to do so constitutes conversion.

If there is damage or unpaid rent, the she can sue to recover it or you can sue to recover the property, at which time you would have to pay the amounts owed to get it released.