Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am leaving a salaried position to become a freelance artist,

I am leaving a salaried position to become a freelance artist, editor and consultant to the bead and jewelry-making industry. I will be making and selling both retail and wholesale, teaching for companies, and publishing books and videos for other companies. Do I need to set up as an LLC, if I operate under my own name? Do you suggest I operate under a different name? For many years I was freelance and never needed to do this. Thanks! Leslie
You should set up some business entity to protect yourself from personal liability for your business activities. The LLC is the perfect entity for something like this because it is a flow through tax entity, meaning the LLC does not pay tax and you claim profits/losses on your personal taxes and it is a much easier business entity to manage. As far as name, you can name it anything you like, even your own name as long as it has LLC in the title. The LLC prevents creditors or anyone from suing you personally for anything related to your business and prevents them from getting at your personal assets as long as you maintain a separate bank account in the name of the LLC and you get a separate tax id for the LLC.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”