Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

Hi, I incorporated about 3 years ago by a guy who handled everything

Hi, I incorporated about 3 years ago by a guy who handled everything related to the business and filings, he left his company to come work for me and ended up stealing from the company and not filing any 1120 (corporate returns). My CA business license is revoked and I got a bill for $36,000 for estimated sales tax that we owe to the CA state BOE. I would guess that paying to have someone file for the last 3 years to tell us we owe hundreds of thousands of dollars would seam pointless? I would think we would have to file everything to go bankrupt right? and I think the amount owed to the state BOE and IRS will always follow me right? Is there any light at the end of the tunnel or anything? Am I just going to never be able to have my own business again and if I get a job, loose all the income to wage garnishments? on a side note, its pointless to try suing the guy who did this he has a ton of others after him and I don;t think we will even be able to find him and hes broke :(
You will have to file everything for a bankruptcy. However, you may want to check with a tax lawyer and see if he can help. There is something called tax bankruptcy to cover situations like yours. In addition, you may be able to get penalties and interest waived because of the circumstances and get on a reasonable payment plan. You may want to still sue the guy anyway or pursue criminal charges. Sometimes people get lucky and fall into some money and you may be able to collect one day.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you know if tax bankrupcy covers CA state sales tax we owe and federal taxes or is it only a specific tax?
Each is a different one. They both have it, although it is rare and may be called something else. You are likely stuck for the sales tax amount but can possibly get penalties and interest waived.