All Business
All Business, Attorney
Experience:  27 years of business experience with accounting and law degrees

I own a business and have salaried persons working. I pay

I own a business and have salaried persons working. I pay people twice a month and each check is 1/24 of their salary. How do I pay a person that works only 1/2 week? How about someone that works 2 weeks? How about 1 week and 3 days? My contention is that the work year is 260 days and that a salaried person received 1/260 of their salary each day that they work. Is this ok?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  All Business replied 6 years ago.

when you say someone works half a week, can i assume that they are a part-time worker? or perhaps temporary personnel?

in short, so long as you are not in violation of minimum wage and other employment laws, you can pay in a manner that you agree to with the worker. that is, the fact that you pay your full time employees the way you do does not mean that a temporary worker is paid on the same scale.

in actuality, your calculation of 1/260 works only because the math computes. in reality, though, you have an agreed upon yearly salary and you pay them twice a month. if you have another employee who is paid per hour or per week, it may compute differently.

please consider clicking ACCEPT as it is the only way in which we are awarded for our responses. thank you and best of luck.