socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Small electrical contractor, do small jobs, should I do a corporation,

Small electrical contractor, do small jobs, should I do a corporation, or better off sole proprietorship?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

A Limited Liability Company (LLC) offers the greatest protection for the lowest administrative cost. A sole proprietorship leaves you wide open to liabiliy, in the event that someone is injured or damaged as the result of your work.

To create an LLC, see or

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question on the Homepage and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.