Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am a single mom of two with very little money in the bank.

I am a single mom of two with very little money in the bank. I have met with a gentleman who suggests we start a business partnership. I am a graphic designer and he is a back end developer and our skill sets compliment each other very well. My questions are...Are there scams I should be aware of? How can I protect myself from potential dangers and what risks are involved?
Thank you!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

There were many scams that you should be aware of. How did you meet this person?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A job posting on craigslist. We met in person over coffee yesterday to discuss the possibilities. Sounds seedy like this but he appeared clean cut and knowledgable as a developer.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

This may be a scam. You can read about similar scams at the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Eventually the con artist may even give you a cashier's check or money order and request that you deposit it the check and return a portion of the funds. At sometime in the future - after you have sent the money - you will find that the check you deposited was fraudulent and the money will be assessed against you.

Here is the site to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

If you decide to proceed with this partnership, I suggest that you retain competent legal counsel to review all documentation and to run a criminal background check on your prospective partner.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there no way to protect yourself if you can prove that they have acted unethical?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

if a person acts unethically or takes your money improperly, you will have a cause of action against that person. However you will need to file suit to obtain a judgment and you will need to execute the judgment against assets that the person may have