Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

We are a private industry and offer forklift certification

We are a private industry and offer forklift certification classes to the public although it is not our main business. We charge for these classes and we do not receive any type of government funding. If a deaf person wishes to take one of our certification classes (we are not quite sure if a deaf person can be certified in it because this course requires a test on the lift also utilizing safety horns etc)..but let's say they can take the course, is it there responsibility to provide the interpreter or ours?

I would agree with you that it is unlikely that someone who is deaf would be able to pass the certification due to the necessity of being able to hear the warning claxons and horns. (I was certified through Lowes when I worked there)

At any rate, if you receive no funding or support from either the state or federal government, the applicant would be responsible for providing their own interpreter.

The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. So as a private entity providing training, you would not be violating any part of the ADA by not providing an interpreter.

I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. If the information given answered your question, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.