Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Hi Paul, you have helped me out several times before and I

Hi Paul, you have helped me out several times before and I always appreciate your advise. W have previously talked about my design firm. To refresh your memory I allowed other designers to use my location to utilize for there business. I had a designer get fired by her client. He then sued my company that is an INC. for breech of contract. He would not allow us to finish his drapery and we had proof, But we went to court this week in front of a jury and they awarded her client 45k and 12K in attorney fees. Needless to say, I am going to have to BK the company and start another. I do not have a retail store. I do have office assets, Can I sale these? without reprocutions? Is there any steps I need to know. The judgement will be filed this week. Can you explain the process? After judgement is filed is it his lawyer that send a bill? Or the court system? Do they allow payments if I where to not file BK? If not, how long are you given to pay before turned over for collections? and if not paid, how long before I need to file BK? Thank you! Aimee
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You can sell those items to pay the bills, but if you file bankruptcy now, then the execution of the judgment will he stayed and the bankruptcy will proceed, then it would be up to the bankruptcy trustee as to whether or no they will sell the assets of the business. You do not sell the assets first unless you are going to take that money from the sale and you would then have to document which creditors the money was paid to and that those creditors were ahead of the other creditors not paid (this is why it is simpler to file bankruptcy and let the trustee deal with this..

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”