lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.

I am defending a case in US Federal Court, Dist of RI, where

I am defending a case in US Federal Court, Dist of RI, where the SEC is the plaintiff v me and my company. Because I could not afford a lawyer they have gotten a default judgment against the company. Since March 2009 I have been complaining to the Court that neither Defendant has ever been served. The SEC always countered this, filed 2 affidavits saying service was completed by email to my former counsel, and ultimately produced not one, but 2 fraudulent emails claiming to be the service email - when for starters they did not even match each other. I have the details in writing from former counsel claiming there was no service.
I filed an opposition to the SEC's motion to impose a big default judgment on the company, but the court will not accept it because I am not a lawyer and because I combined it with a Motion to Dismiss. The Judge writes back about filing a separate Motion to Dismiss. Because the default was granted based on service being complete, I want to reverse that decision.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
You cannot represent your company since I assume it is a corporation or LLC. You are going to have to retain an attorney, that is the only way. You can't file anything yourself.