How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am defending a case in US Federal Court, Dist of RI, where

Resolved Question:

I am defending a case in US Federal Court, Dist of RI, where the SEC is the plaintiff v me and my company. Because I could not afford a lawyer they have gotten a default judgment against the company. Since March 2009 I have been complaining to the Court that neither Defendant has ever been served. The SEC always countered this, filed 2 affidavits saying service was completed by email to my former counsel, and ultimately produced not one, but 2 fraudulent emails claiming to be the service email - when for starters they did not even match each other. I have the details in writing from former counsel claiming there was no service.
I filed an opposition to the SEC's motion to impose a big default judgment on the company, but the court will not accept it because I am not a lawyer and because I combined it with a Motion to Dismiss. The Judge writes back about filing a separate Motion to Dismiss. Because the default was granted based on service being complete, I want to reverse that decision.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
You cannot represent your company since I assume it is a corporation or LLC. You are going to have to retain an attorney, that is the only way. You can't file anything yourself.
lwpat and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you