How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you end a C Corporation and start up an LLC when a 10

Customer Question

How do you end a C Corporation and start up an LLC when a 1033 Exchange is in process concerning the original C Corporation? (Original Corporation was sold and property taken by Eminent Domain by the State of Utah).

We intend to purchase up to three properties through the 1033 Exchange, and have 2 years and 9 months to locate similar income properties. Is it required by law that these purchases be made under the name of Park Pharmacy (original C corporation) BEFORE forming an LLC (Lewis Enterprises), or can we make the corporation to company change and make the purchases under the LLC name?

Thanks Much.

Ellis Lewis
Submitted: 6 years ago via GetFreeLegalForms.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean by the company was sold? Has it been dissolved? Is the money still in that company's bank account?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just Answer Attorney:

As a pharmaceutical business we were able to sell the BUSINESS ONLY (all records, patient lists etc.) to the Sav-on pharmacy chain. The business was sold separately from our 'Goodwill', purchased by Sav-on independently but simultaneously with their purchase of our business.

In addition to the business of Park Pharmacy, we owned the large corner lot and the building on it, which housed the business for over 15 years. Sav-on's contract originally required that we relinquish the business name as well. However, although Sav-on, in their contract, demanded ALL patient hard copy and computer records, they found they did not have space to store the great stacks of boxes containing these records, which we have had to provide storage space for ourselves.

By law, pharmaceutical records must be stored for seven years. Because Sav-on only accepted the most current two year's worth of patient records, we retained the corporate name of Park Pharmacy, in part, to service these records. We have continued to provide service as required when contacted by physicians, attorney's or others needing those documents for specific legal purposes.

Because our lot and building were taken by Eminent Domain, independently of the business and corporate name, we were entitled to a three year period in which to locate up to three properties to REPLACE the business property upon which we had planned to establish a new business. WE NO LONGER ARE IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL BUSINESS. For this reason, we need to establish a new business and a new business name.

The monies received from the state are in a money market account, under the Park Pharmacy corporate name. We have advised the IRS and State tax authorities of our intent to use these funds toward a 1033 Exchange

Therefore, we need to know :

1. How to exchange the 'Park Pharmacy Inc.' corporation for a more general LLC, with a NEW
and more appropriate company name. We have chosen to use: 'Lewis Enterprises" as the new

2. Can we make this change while still searching for other income producing properties, and
take these new properties under the new company name of 'Lewis Enterprises'?

3. When would be the best time to change the corporation to an LLC, before we purchase the
exchange properties of after.

We hope that this will clarify the questions we submitted. The 1033 exchange is very similar to a 1031 Exchange, but we are given three years and up to three properties to complete the exchange rather than
45 days and probably one business or property only allowed with the 1031. If you have other questions, I will attempt to answer them as needed.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ellis Lewis


Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
1. Have the LLC purchase the corporation.

2. Yes

3. Does not matter since the LLC will now "own" all the shares of the corporation.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions