socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am starting a tutoring business. I would like to how I should

I am starting a tutoring business. I would like to how I should go about contracting tutors and buying insurance for my business. Also, if there are any other legal processes I should take care off. I have already applied for a business license
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

California does not license private tutors. However, if your prospective employees are to work with young children, and you want to avoid potential liability, then you will probably want to obtain a fairly substantial background security check to ensure that the employee has no record of sex offenses or other potential risks (drug use, alcoholism, etc.).

As far as liability insurance goes, that's a project for an insurance agent. The question largely revolves around the size of your business, because the more assets accumulated in the business, the more risk of legal action and the more insurance coverage required.

Other than that, you will need to either incorporate or create a Limited Liability Company to further protect yourself against risk. You will also likely need to set yourself up with a payroll company like ADP, because dealing with payroll taxes (unemployment insurance and workers comp, etc.) can be a major hassle and very difficult to maintain unless you're planning to hire an accountant.

That about covers it. Let me know if you have questions.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already applied for sole proprietorship business. I intend to contract work out to tutors. So I would like to know what would be procedure to do this. Where or how can I get a template for such a contract?

A sole proprietorship is nothing more than a fictious business name. It offers zero liability protection, and it is, frankly, and extremely dangerous means of doing business, because if you are sued, all of your personal assets are at risk.

Re contracting out tutors, The California Employment Development Department is extremely tough on determinations of contracting employees. If you misclassify someone as a contractor who should have been contracted as an employee, you could be exposed to tens of thousands of dollars in fines. So, before you even think about treating your personnel as 1099 contractors, you may want to objectively fill out this worksheet. If after you fill out the worksheet, you decide that you want to take the risk of hiring independent contractors, then you can simply "google" "independent contractor agreement" on the net, and probably find 1,000 different agreements that you could massage to fit your requirements.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I were to operate as a sole proprietor do I only need a contractor agreement? Are there any other requirements? What according to you is the best business structure for a tutoring business which plans to contract tutors?

If you're operating as a sole proprietorship, all you need is a fictitious business name (DBA) and an employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS, so that you can open a bank account in the business' name.

Re what I think is the best business structure, I would use an LLC, because it's easy to set up and maintain and it provides liability protection.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)