Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I have a moving contract which requires me to work for 24 months

I have a moving contract which requires me to work for 24 months from the signature date. It states that if I leave the company regardless of reason before 24 months I am responsible for the entire balance. I am currently 58 days to complete the contract and am considering leaving the company, would this contract still be 100% enforceable or is there any wiggle room for me in it???

Thank you

Jerry Mecum
Submitted: 4 years ago via GetFreeLegalForms.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.
Did the company move you at your request and you agreed to work for them to effectively pay it off? I am not clear on how such a contract came into being?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The company posted the position on their intranet site, with a full re-location package, they also sent the positions out in what the company calls an information support email to all stores across the company. I was in Spokane, Washington, the position was in Minot, North Dakota. I applied for the position on the sugesstion of my district and store manager, was accepted, I moved the following week, company paid mileage, expenses, meals for a month as that was how long it took to co-ordinate the move, move was done by a third party hired by company. I received $7,000 cash (minus taxes) for about $5,000 net, third party company then came in packed the house, loaded it on a truck, and unpacked at new address. In order to get the move, I had to sign a contract stating that if I left the company for any reason short of the store closing, I would be responsible to pay the entire balance of the move, (estimated at $28,000). I am not sure this type of situation would be considered my request to move, they offered me the position, and in order to take it, it would require me to move across 2 states. I don't believe there was any agreement that I would work for them to pay it off.

Thanks for the information. I cannot give you a sure fire answer. This agreement is enforceable on its face. I do not know that a court would impose the full cost on you if you were two months short but I could not suggest taking such a risk. There is nothing unconscionable about the agreement. The time remaining is too short a time to seek and receive a declaration of rights from a court so leaving at this juncture would put you at complete risk of having to pay the cost of the move. The amount seems high but I have no basis to challenge the amount you estimated.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law