How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JBaxLaw Your Own Question

JBaxLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 11331
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
JBaxLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an executive working in a fortune 500 for-profit Higher

Resolved Question:

I am an executive working in a fortune 500 for-profit Higher Education firm. A Likely felon was just hired in our IT department in Senior Leadership: He was arrested and likely convicted in California of Insurance Fraud (but California law protects records of felons. No data on record after 7 years). This man has access to sensitive FASFA/ISIR information on College Students as well as all employees. I have used the MySafeWorkplace to complain over 2 weeks ago but he remains employed. What other remedies are available since he poses a risk for employees and students alike? Given I am unable to ascertain specifics on his felony, should I remain silent? If I were to give you his name, would you be able to provide information about the felony that occured in California in the 2000 timeframe? How can an average person further this investigation if the HR department is mute on this matter? I have received no response to my initial inquiry in "mysafeworkplace" and feel a duty to our students and fellow employees to continue an investigation of this matter. Now what?

The company that I work for is located in Illinois. We are NCA accredited. I have looked on their website for advice but there are no remedies there.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.
To be clear, this is a private higher education company?

Does the company work as a government contractor?

Does management at your company know of the issue?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, this is a for-profit, higher education company.


As such, the company takes Title IV funding, state/federal loans/grants for students. I would not consider it a direct government contractor, per se, but a firm involved in serving the goals of higher education which implies some obligations to do so ethically and in the best interests of society.


Management was informed. My response on the "MySafeWorkplace", just checked it today, from the HR and Global Compliance Officer was: "This matter was investigated with all available facts and will be closed".


The problem is that the facts are not available to them given the uniqueness of California Law where the individual likely served time for insurance fraud (he was self-employed immediately after the arrest for 18 months) but that after a seven year period, no information on felonies are provided in background checks.... So, they my company is either unable to get the information that they need or they are unwilling. ?

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.
There is no absolute ban on hiring persons with felony records into such positions. Employers generally will consider the issue among other factors in the employer's application. A complete bar on persons with criminal histories can result in a discriminatory impact in that certain racial groups end up being excluded more often than others. In an analysis of a single applicant there is nothing preventing an employer from refusing employment on the basis of a criminal history.

In this instance, the conviction record may have been sealed or expunged in which case this employer will not consider that criminal history. Your employer has determined there is no threat or failed to receive all needed information to make an informed decision.

If the problem is the employer has determined there is no threat, then there is little that you can do. If the employer has made a decision based on insufficient information, then you may have recourse. You may obtain the information yourself and submit those records to the employer anonymously. You may also bypass human resources or compliance if you believe they are ineffective and submit your concerns in writing to management. Ultimately, this issue is entirely left to the employer's discretion. This will change if fraud or mishandling of funds actually does occur.

It appears that your company handles Department of Education funds. As such, you may report suspected mishandling of those funds to the Office of Inspector General at:

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 11331
Experience: Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
JBaxLaw and 6 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions