Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

What is FIPS

What is FIPS?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

There are actually two definitions for that acronym depending on the context.

The first is Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS). These are a standardized set of numeric or alphabetic codes issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to ensure uniform identification of geographic entities through all federal government agencies. The entities covered include: states and statistically equivalent entities, counties and statistically equivalent entities, named populated and related location entities (such as, places and county subdivisions), and American Indian and Alaska Native areas.

Basically they ensure that all federal agencies are using the same codes when referring to certain geographic areas.

The other less common definition of FIPS is Fully Interactive Partition Splitter. It is a DOS program for non-destructive splitting of FAT hard disk partitions.

I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue. If the information given answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.