John, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.

Need business license to sell on

I've collected lots of books over the years. Now I want to sell them on, which requires me to set up a Vendor ID and could involve collecting Florida sales tax. Do I really have to get a county business license, a DBA name, a sales permit, and an EIN? (I'd rather not resort to e-bay, which doesn't require these.) Please advise.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I thought I answered this question but can't find my answer. The answer depends on the number and duration of books, as to how formal of a business plan you need. As an individual, you can sell your books and have no need to incorporate, get a tax id number or business license, but would need to charge sales tax. You simply are supposed to disclose your proceeds as person income come federal income tax time.

Florida sales tax laws are so broad that we are all supposed to pay the State usage tax on everything we buy out of state that isn't taxed. Point is, they want to capture everything these days. You will need to fill out a form located here...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, John. What do you mean by duration?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
If it was something with longevity, such as buying and reselling, it might be worthwhile to consider more measures, but it seems you have a limited number of books even if that number is XXXXX such that it ends eventually.