Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

does florida require a license to hold a charity raffle of

Customer Question

does florida require a license to hold a charity raffle of large prizes (cars, homes, boats, etc)?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.

Could you explain how the prizes are being obtained? Is the charity a qualified tax exempt organization with a tax exempt approval from the IRS?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the charity is tax exempt. (has been for 10 years) the prizes will be purchased with ticket proceeds. The raffle will be managed by an outside independent consulting company. Rules and regs of raffle state if all tickets not sold prizes will revert to cash in a 50/40/10 split

You can conduct a raffle if you comply with the requirements of Chapter 496 which deals with registration of charitable organizations to do fund raising in the state of Florida. You do not need a license. However, you cannot make a condition of participating in the drawing that a fee be paid. You can request a minimum donation be made with respect to anyone who participates but the donation cannot be a condition of participation. See chapter(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Edited by bizlaw on 2/6/2010 at 8:01 PM EST