Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

if i have my cdl but no dot physical card what could my consequences

if i have my cdl but no dot physical card what could my consequences be if i was pulled over or where could i find the information on this law
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The failure to possess a valid DOT physical card would result in the suspension of your CDL for up to 1 year for the first offense and permanent suspension for second offense. It can also result in heavy fines against the company for which you are working, as they are liable for verifying your current physical card. Additionally, it will result in job termination for cause which would mean you would not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you know what the fine(s) would be in the state of north dakota if i was caught without my dot medical card
The fine in ND varies by location, but it is an average of about $500
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if a medical examiner finds you not qualified to posess a dot mediacal card can you go to another dr
No because the doctor would report it to DOT and you have to use a qualified DOT physician