Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am a dermatologist in New York State. I have a clinical lab

I am a dermatologist in New York State. I have a clinical lab company offering to contribute to my practices EMR software. I am under the assumption that this is illegal in NY state. They claim that it is not. Can you clarify this for me and provide me with a copy of the law so I can provide information. I want to stay within the law here
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
This is going to come under the Stark law, which is the law prohibiting contributions to medical practices where there is a potential exchange for medical service or referrals or clinical labs. See:

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already found the stark laws. We have no financial tie or any agreement to send business to this lab. I dont think stark laws apply here. I think it is a different law . This is more of a self referral law which does not pertain here.
The Stark laws are the laws governing these transactions, if your deal with them does not fall under the Stark laws, then NY has no different provisions that prohibit this. Stark is much more than a "self-referral law" it also prohibits some other entity providing you with renumeration in exchange for you sending patients to them.