socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

A buddy and I live in a college town and are interested in

A buddy and I live in a college town and are interested in trying to make some money advertising a cleaning service specifically geared to clean up after house parties. We think handing out flyers would be the extent of our advertising. What are our legal obligations for this sort of venture.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
  • General business license from city/town.
  • Employer tax id from IRS
  • If anyone other than you and your friend do the actual work, then you will need to pay workers compensation contributions, unemployment, payroll taxes, etc. to the state and federal goverment. For most very small businesses, it's far cheaper to simply outsource this entirely to a payroll service (e.g., ADP).

That's about the minimum.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.