Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

If a corporation (not the individual owners) sues you and wins..,

Customer Question

If a corporation (not the individual owners) sues you and wins.., then two years later they go out of business and dissolve their corporation, do you still owe them the debt?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, even if the company went out of business, the members of that business are entitled to the assets of the business and any debts are assets of the business so technically the members or the trustee in that company's bankruptcy would have a right to collect the debt still. HOWEVER, chances are they have written the debt off and there is nobody seeking to collect it. If it is a judgment it would be a priority over the unsecured, because it is secured by judgment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”