Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

I am a 25% shareholder in a Texas S-Corp with 3 other partners

I am a 25% shareholder in a Texas S-Corp with 3 other partners (all 25%). 1 has not contributed at all and seems to have no interest in the business, but refuses to sell. Do we have any options to force a sale of shares?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.

No, not really. That he owns shares is enough that he can force you to purchase them or refuse to sell the shares.

What you can do is - just not pay dividends on the shares - but only pay for work performed instead. If he doesn't get any income - then he might be more inclined on selling you the shares of stock.

Since there is 75% between you and the other owners - just agree between you that your not going to be paying any dividends. Eventually he'll start thinking about selling out to you three.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated.