Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

28 years ago my neighbors and I got together and built a room

28 years ago my neighbors and I got together and built a room addition and a studio in the back of my home, (without permits). We did this to other homes on our block, everyone pitched in labor. Last week I was given a citation to demolish the studio, its considered a 2nd dwelling and our lot is only for one. Then, they said we have to obtain the proper permits and legalize the addition in the back where the porch used to be.
Do you have any suggestions or where I can find someone to help me with this? My husband is dissabled and we are living on a very tight budget. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live in Imperial Beach, California.
Submitted: 4 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
What specifically can I answer for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't really know, I guess I need to know if there are other options besides demolishing the studio. Like would they accept it if we took everything out and used it for storage? In addition, what about the addition to my house, they want permits and plans for something built 28 years ago. We also don't have any money to make these changes.

I am going to opt out and see if a local expert can answer you further.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way you can attach it somehow to the other buildings - so it's an extension?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I had money, or could borrow on my house. Because my husband had heart failure and is now on dissability, my income goes to pay the mortgage, utilities, and medical expenses, leaving me with no extra income. Is it possible that they would consider this as a play room, or storage? But would we need to have permits for this also?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.

That's possible - but they would be easy to get - just a permit for a storage shed or garage.

Do you know if storage sheds are allowed? If so, do you already have one?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know if they are allowed, but I believe that they are. We have one that we built, I think it has to be a certain size and I don't know if the studio would be considered too big.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 4 years ago.

You might be able to get a variance for the studio and have that serve as your shed. Then tear down the existing shed or sell it to a neighbor or something.

They do give variances and building permits for shed - if they are allowed within your developments covenants.

That would seem to be your best alternative for sure.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated.

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations