Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law
3396227

my corporation entered a contract with a company but due to

Customer Question

my corporation entered a contract with a company but due to many circumstances the corp closed down due to lack of funds. The company that contracted with my corp is suing after the fact that I closed down and is suing myself and mywife. what can I do? Can I use any type of argument on my behalf?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- If you did not guarantee the debts of the corporation you are not liable and neither is your wife. You need to file an answer to the suit and claim that this was a corporate, not personal, liability. If you fail to file an answer then the plaintiff can get a default judgment so just calling or writing them will not suffice. You need to file an answer with the court where the suit was filed and deny the claim based on the corporate veil.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ONE LAST THING...I AM SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

I RECEIVED A RENOTE TO CIVIL JUDGEMENT, MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGEMENT FOR TOMORROW. (HEARING DATE & TIME IS ALREADY SCHEDULED). I WILL BE ATTENDING. I RESPONDED TO THEIR SUIT BUT I SENT IT TO THE ATTORNEY (COLLECTIONS) IN CHARGE OF THIS FILE. WHAT CAN I TAKE WITH ME TOMORROW TO DELAY THIS SO I CAN PROPERLY REPRESENT MYSELF JUSTLY? OR WHAT CAN I ASK FOR TO DELAY THIS AND AVOID A JUDGEMENT AGAINST ME?

All you can do is explain to the court that you are not an attorney and that you thought you were responding properly. Obviously you did not file a proper answer so you will have to explain your position and ask the court for time to find an attorney.

Dave

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave