Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I have a Chinese client who want to buy a large amount of Standby

Customer Question

I have a Chinese client who want to buy a large amount of Standby Letter of Credit but he just don't know where (which bank) to go. He perfer from a European top bank. But all these banks said buyer need to summit his Proof of Fund first. Buyer is famous company and said bank can sell should supply their Procedure first , to let the buyer to decide which bank he want to choice.

How to brake this "you must come first" situation?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon....I understand your client's reluctance to disclose information, but given the economic turmoil of the last several years and the precarious positions most of the banks have found themselves in, if your client want to obtain a letter of credit...which the banks view as a loan and as a result require the borrower to submit the information necessary to obtain the loan...your client is going to have provide the information requested. At different points in time, the lenders have been more proactive in seeking business and were sometimes a bit looser in their requirements, but now, with regulators breathing down their necks overlooking every transaction, banks simply aren't going to make loans or issue letters of credit without proper documentation. Your client is the one that needs the LC and the banks are the ones with the power to provide the your client is going to have to capitulate if he want to get the LC.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.