Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I own a interior design firm. We where asked to bid on a penthouse

I own a interior design firm. We where asked to bid on a penthouse model home in oct. In Nov 2009 we where told we where the selected firm and to please prepare design boards and presentation for approval of furnishings. We did boards and presentation to all investors and all furnishings where approved as well as funding. The day we sent over contract and invoice for deposit, 2 hours later, they received a offer. They told me that they realized that my company had done extensive work and does not want my company to suffer a net lose. They have asked that we please be patient and wait the for the 14 day due dilegence period to end. It is actually effective today. We will hear Monday if we are doing the penthouse or if buyer is taking the penthouse. The contract was valued at 78K, the profit would have been 29K. I am uncertain about what to bill for time vested. Can you please lend advice. I want to be fair but also realized my company has 96 hours invested in project.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You need to bill at an hourly rate that is reasonable for your industry for the hours spent. You use the hourly rate upon which you have based your bid times the number of hours already spent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”