N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983

How does a foreigner get admitted to the Liberian Bar

Customer Question

How does a foreigner get admitted to the Liberian Bar?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 6 years ago.
You can contact them directly at
Liberia National Bar Association
Address P.O. Box 1056
City Monrovia
Country Liberia
Telephone +231 22 18 82
From states
19. Legal Education
Liberia’s law school was founded by Rudolph Grimes, who was the 1st Dean of the Louis Arthur Grimes School of Law at the University of Liberia. The Law School was named after his father, who was one of Liberia’s greatest lawyers and jurists. The law school is a graduate school at the University. For more on this please see the following website:
The law school offers two programs for attaining a Bachelor of Laws Degree - three (3) years morning Program and 5 years evening Program. For more information on the requirements, curriculum, etc. of the Law School, please see the University of Liberia website at Human Rights Law is a mandatory course and is offered in one’s final year at the University. Upon completion of their course of study, a Bar examination has to be successfully completed. This results in admission to the Bar with permission to practice in the lower courts. These are the Magisterial and Justice of the Peace courts. After at least three years of practice as an Attorney of Law, another bar examination can be taken to allow admittance to practice in the Supreme Court of Liberia and to be considered a Counselor at Law.

I cannot find the Liberia Court Rules on line so I do not know if Liberia allows attorneys licensed in other jurisdictions to be admitted on motion or take a shorter version of the bar exam. But the Liberia National Bar Association will know.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I know I can try to wade through the Liberian Bar Association, I wanted to see if someone knows how to accomplish having a foreigner admitted to the Liberian Bar. If the answers are simply directing me somewhere else, I can do that on my own. Thanks
My answer in short is that you have to take the bar exam in Liberia.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. But the question is can a non-Liberian do that?
Yes. I have never heard of any country that limits bar admission to citizens.