MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

Heloo, I need to break an employment contract. I started

Customer Question

Heloo,
I need to break an employment contract. I started last week and they have lied/misrepresented almost everything they told me about this position.
Is there anything I need to be concerned about?
thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
You would need to read the terms of your contract to see what the penalties are for not working the length of time that the contract specified. That will give you your answer and then it would be up to your employer to decide whether they want to pursue those damages by suing you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
remedies for breach of agreement:
it says I cant practice medicine within 5 miles for 2 years, that isnt a problem.
it says they are entitled to injunctions, right to recover damages sustained as a result of breach.
whatever that means.
I have only been there for 1 wek, getting the non existant "orientation" program, so the have spent about zero on me.
I do hope that they will pay me for this last week.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
If you have worked, they have to pay you for time worked by law.

As for damages, those could be several things, including the cost of having to search for a replacement, any amounts spent on hiring you, etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok I do appreciate the answers but what I really am asking is...WILL they do that or not? what is the usual scenerio? What is the liklihoof?
and what shoud i say to them?
Should i simply email and say it isn't working out, nt a good fit, etc, or is it better to explain all the lies.
it seems unlikely that they would persue it and i am wanting to find out the likelihood.
i already have another job.
obviously people break contracts all the time and are not sued, especially after such a short time.
anyway, thanks again.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
No one can tell you whether they will or won't. It is their decision, or their legal counsel's decision. There is no "usual scenario". It depends completely on their business practices and the pros and cons of whether it would be worth it for them to sue you.

You should not be confrontational in your resignation. You should keep it short and simple and pleasant. You do not want to anger them or make yourself look bad in the process.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry but I dont think you gave me any better answers than someone who is not a lawyer. I found a place for free that actually let me know FL contract laws and helped me out. thanks anyway, but not worth money for me.