Business Law Expert
Business Law Expert, Attorney
Experience:  Extensive experience in Corporate and Business Entities

As a non profit corporation registered in NC (a home owners

As a non profit corporation registered in NC (a home owners association) under what circumstnaces may the board of directors go into a closed session?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Business Law Expert replied 6 years ago.

In North Carolina, statutes mandate: "Except as otherwise provided in the bylaws, meetings of the association and the executive board shall be conducted in accordance with the most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised." There are no general parliamentary prohibitions on closed meetings or rules for what can happen during the closed portion.

North Carolina statute provides that "at regular intervals, the executive board meeting shall provide lot owners an opportunity to attend a portion of an executive board meeting and to speak to the executive board about their issues or concerns."

If your condo association documents and bylaws do not allow closed sessions there can not be. If they do allow closed sessions state law required that the board allow at regular interval meetings that are not closed as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Thank you