Biz Whiz
Biz Whiz, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with experience in a number of fields

My husband made some plyo boxes a few weeks ago for us, and

Customer Question

My husband made some plyo boxes a few weeks ago for us, and had an extra one, so he sold it on Craiglist. Then, he got interest from some other crossfitters, and made some more. He has since gotten even more interest on Craigslist. Should we be worried about a release of liability form of some kind?? Plyo boxes are made of wood, and range in height from 6 inches to 36 inches, and are used to jump up and down on, so there is definitely potential for injury. This is not a business in any way, just something my husband is doing for fun on the side, and charges for parts and a little bit for labor, so he makes some profit from it. What would we be liable for if someone did get injured on a box he made? Any advice?? Thank you!!!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Biz Whiz replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

A liability release would be a good idea if your husband is planning on selling many of these boxes. The release would state something to the effect that the boxes are made for exercise (or whatever they are made for) and that even using the box as intended may result in injury. Buyer assumes all liability for any injury that occurs as a result of using the box, etc.

If your husband is going to sell a lot of these, it would be a good idea to start a limited liability company (LLC). This will provide your personal assets some liability protection. If you go this far, it would be a great idea to get some liability insurance.

I hope this as been helpful. If you need further information, please let me know.