JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
16110456

I have a product idea I want to protect. Do I need to obtain

I have a product idea I want to protect. Do I need to obtain a full patent, or is there another, less-expensive alternative?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 7 years ago.
You will need a patent to protect the invention. You can use a non-disclosure agreement with employees, but this will provide limited protection.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
LegalZoom.com offers a "provisional patent" for around $300. What is a provisional patent, and will it protect my idea until I can afford a patent search and full patent application?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
LegalZoom.com offers a "provisional patent" for around $300. What exactly is a provisional patent, and will it protect my idea until I can afford a full patent search and application? Is LegalZoom.com legitimate?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 7 years ago.
For information see: http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/types/provapp.jsp

You may apply directly at the US Patent and Trademark Office. You would need to file the nonprovisional patent application within 12 months of the provisional application. The provisional patent essentially allows you to backdate the protection of the nonprovisional patent. You may apply at: http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/file/efs/index.jsp

Thank you

Edited by BizAttorney on 12/7/2009 at 2:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already accepted your answer to my initial question. When I clicked ACCEPT for this answer (to my reply), it's asking me to pay again. I didn't think I had to pay for follow-up questions...?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 7 years ago.
You do not need to accept twice. You may accept as few or as many times as you like.

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you recommend that I hire an attorney regarding my invention or idea I want to patent?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 7 years ago.
Yes. It is always best in such situations to hire an attorney to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much. This is only the second time I've used this site. Since I clicked ACCEPT for one of your answers, will you receive the funds I deposited?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 7 years ago.
Good luck with your idea and patent. It does appear that you accepted the response.

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.