i have an answering service that i have used for the past 7

i have an answering service that i have used for the past 7 to 8 years,i recently had a few clients call me and inform me that something was wrong with my 800 number,so i called it myself only to find out that they have a
recording on there of someone laughing and says "i'm a dumb ass",is this defamation of character?
by the way this number is XXXXX my truck,t-shirts and business cards.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Have you checked with the answering service company how this happened?
do you know who did this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no,i didn't tell the person exactly what was on the recording until i spoke with a supervisor and i have benn trying to figure out a way to prove this before it is taken off
You need to uncover what happened here. If the service company did not maintain proper security measures and permitted this breach you have a breach of contract claim against them and a complaint to the BBB and dept of consumer affairs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do i start by filing complaints against them myself or should i get an attorny involved and have someone call and listen to the recording?
I would involve a local business lawyer. You can find same on You should consider recording what you have heard to ensure it is not erased.