Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

Hi, I am a business owner having trouble paying the rent and

Hi, I am a business owner having trouble paying the rent and the landlord has locked us out of the stor. We are losing business and this has been going on for a week now. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you in advance for your time.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry about your situation. Your best bet is to try to negotiate a settlement with your landlord. The landlord is entitled to lock you out if you are not paying your rent. He can then move to evict you. You would be obligated for the rent through the remainder of your term, subject to the landlord's duty to mitigate by trying re-letting the premises. If your business is a limited liability entity, you would not be personally liable for this unless you were a personal guarantor on the lease.

But, in talking to your landlord, it is important to remember that your landlord does have incentive to work out a deal with you even if it is for a reduced rent...this is for two reasons...1) it is expensive to place a new terms of time that there is no tenant and in terms of getting the property ready for the new tenant; and 2) in these times, there is no certainty another tenant can be found.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.