socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can a California Public Agency release bidder/proposer information

Customer Question

Can a California Public Agency release bidder/proposer information identified as proprietary and confidential under FOIA or California Public Records Act when such release providers competitiors with privileged information?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

In general, the California Public Records Act (CPRA) would permit disclosure of the bid info, unless the bidder entered into a nondisclosure agreement with the government agency before bidding. THe CPRA has 35 different exemptions which permits the government to refrain from disclosure, however they are all "permissive," which means that the government has discretion as to whether or not to disclose. So, in fact if the government wants to release information, then it is almost competely free to do so, except where case law, contractual agreement, or other statutory provisions provid otherwise.

Short answe: disclosure is permitted, unless the agency agreed otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.