N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

What type of Licenses do I need in order to import Gold or

What type of Licenses do I need in order to import Gold or Gold dore bars to Miami Florida?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Per the US customs website:

Gold coins, medals and bullion, formerly prohibited, may be brought into the United States. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar) and most of Sudan are prohibited entry. Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by country of issuance.

It does not appear that one needs a license to import gold into the US.

Hope this helps,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Whereas, the answer was correct , I was seeking for a statute of some type that clearly stated that the importation of gold or raw gold by a private citizen was and continue to be lawful in the US.

Something in the order of Public Law 93-373 (1974) In other words , has there been any other laws that superseded this 35 year old law?
In all fairness, your question asked "Do I need a license?". I clearly answered your question, and would greatly appreciate an ACCEPT for my time. Since this is a separate question, and you are looking for a specific statute, I would have to answer this seperately.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sir, with all due respect, my question was not so mundane as to merit such an opened answer as "It does not appear that one needs a license to import gold into the US".

My question was very specific and certainly definitive :What type of Licenses do I need in order to import Gold or Gold dore bars to Miami Florida?

The answer should be something factually based on established laws! The answer cannot be that of simple appearance type.

Your answer was what I found in a 3 second search on Google.com. If you read my notes it would have been obviously clear that these simple answers were not what I was seeking from a professional attorneys . This is a legal question that was directed toward legal professionals. I am expecting a decisively clear answer with very little ambiguity!
I answered the question you posed. I would appreciate an ACCEPT for my time.

If you would like a different answer, I will opt out and see if someone else can help you.

Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry Sir, my question has not been addressed!. Please furnish a correct answer and I will be more than happy to accept it. Should you be unable or unwilling to do so, I'd appreciate some insights from someone else!

Best Regards,
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/trade/iius.ctt/iius.pdf
is the Customs publication, Importing into the United States
A Guide for Commercial Importers

As the other expert said, there is no specific license needed to import gold.

I urge you to hire a customs broker before attempting to import commercial quantities of gold.
There are several in Florida, including http://www.cepbroker.com/

Getting an item to clear customs can be complicated, see https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=209 so I urge you to work with a customs broker on this.

I hope this information is helpful.

Edited by N Cal Attorney on 12/6/2009 at 4:12 AM EST
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: Since 1983
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your answer was appreciated as the people on the link that you provided guided me toward the eventual transaction that is at hand...

"I urge you to hire a customs broker before attempting to import commercial quantities of gold.
There are several in Florida, including http://www.cepbroker.com/"
Thank you for accepting my answer, I'm glad this worked out.