Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

We are in the state of IL. My sign. others family owns a gas/convenience

We are in the state of IL. My sign. other's family owns a gas/convenience station where we live. This business owes back taxes, which they have been keeping up payments (as agreed upon#, but if this business becomes sold to another party #purchased thru a foreclosure situation) then does this back taxes become the new business owners problem/responsibility, or does his family still owe the burden of this?? Need to know, since the family is trying to keep "new" party from buying the business, to buy sometime for them to make arraingments to keep the family business. Please help advise, thank you for your time. Kymberli

Good evening. If you are talking about past property taxes, then property taxes follow the land and the new owners would become responsible. If you are talking about income taxes, these taxes follow the business and your sign. other's family's business would still be on the hook.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.