socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Im an franchise owner, and Ive paying royalty fees monthly.

I'm an franchise owner, and I've paying royalty fees monthly. My question is, am I obligate to pay royalty fees if with the following apply.
I haven't sign any contract between franchisor and franchisee. And now I just found out the LLC they created hasn't form a franchisor. Would I continue to pay the royalty fees? if not, would I be able to claim the money that been paid for past several month?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If you don't have a written contract, then your payments are not necessarily for royalties, because you don't necessarily have an agreement to pay royalties. You don't appear to have much of anything.

If you're asking whether you can claim your payments on your tax return as expenses, then as long as they were made for the "production of income," then they are deductable.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
"You don't appear to have much of anything" Is that meant, I don't have to pay for any royalty fees in the future right? Thanks.
That's right. Who is to say that what you paid for was a royalty, or that there was any fixed term to the contract, or anything else?