In 2005, I had dealings w/ a NJ attorney who wasnt honest

In 2005, I had dealings w/ a NJ attorney who wasn't honest with me. She did work that I didn't ask her to do (parenting agreement), lied to me, telling me that she addressed the court concerning my Ex putting my son in bed with him & this girlfriend(the day of court she told me she never sent a letter to the judge), she told me that I'd have to file a seperate motion to get arrears & she never did. I repeatedly stated that I couldn't afford to pay herafter the retainer unless I got my arrears. In the end: the judge ordered us to work our issues out, outside his court room. She copied an agreement from a previous case, walked in & out of a confrence room, dealing with other clients & it was done. I didn't hear from her again until spring 2008 when I got a statement for(6K). I sent 2 letters offering a partcial payment to settle my balance stating my reasons above for not willing to pay the full amount, but I get no respond.What do I do now? Can I put Paid in full on a Ck and be done?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Putting paid in full wont work since that is not controlling. You can negotiate a settlement for less or else contest it. The retainer may call for arbitration. The lawyer may choose not to proceed since you may counterclaim or consider a discplinary complaint if she didnt represent you properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I negotiate with a person who will not respond? Where would I counterclaim or complain of her actions?
If she wont respond, you simply reject it as you did. If she sues you or seeks to arbitrate then you can respond with your answer. Often lawyers dont sue clients.