J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

I have a contractor that has been lying to me for over 1 1/2

I have a contractor that has been lying to me for over 1 1/2 years about an airconditioner unit that is in need of repairs after their roofing job went wrong. Can I record our conversations in person without him knowing he is being recorded? Could he have a civil case against me in the future if I record him without him knowing I am recording him during our conversations? Will I be beaking any laws in texas?

Texas is a "one party consent" state. This means that, under Texas law, as long as you are an identified member of the party to the conversation, you can record the conversation without the knowledge of the other parties. As long as you meet this requirement, which you would if you were talking with the contractor, then you can record your conversations without legal liability.

Since it is a legal recording, you can use it as evidence in court.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX need also to know could I be open to a civil suit for causing the airconditioner contractor to be fired from the job? I am more concerned about someone filing a Civil suit.
There would be no civil liability for getting the person fired for the job, as long as you did not lie or purposefully misrepresent any facts. If your criticism is factual or reasonable opinion, there's nothing that can be done to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much. This is great to have available for future use.

Floyd Backus

You are welcome. Thank you for the Accept.

I wish you a fast and satisfactory resolution. Please let us know, if you can be of further assistance.