How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There are two owners of an S corporation in NC. One owns 30%,

Customer Question

There are two owners of an S corporation in NC. One owns 30%, the other 70% of the company. The one owning 30% is not getting his voice heard and wants to get out and start another business that is basically the same with the changes that he wanted enacted. Is this legal or what has to happen to make this legal.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
He cannot just leave and start his own competing business. Here he is going to either have to sell to the majority stockholder, probably at a loss, or try to force a dissolution of the company. That will cost a bunch in legal fees and could take 3 or 4 years to work through the courts. In other words he does not have a good option.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. Quick follow-up. If he sells his share of the company at a loss (and there is no non-compete agreement in place), how soon could he start a new similar competing company?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
If there is no non compete then he can start immediately but he would have to be careful not to directly solicit existing customers.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.

Related Business Law Questions