Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

IVE BEEN PAYING ON A JUDGEMENT ($10,000) FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS.

I'VE BEEN PAYING ON A JUDGEMENT ($10,000) FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS. WITHIN THE PAST 3 MONTHS OR SO, THE COMPANY I WAS PAYING MY DEBT TO HAS TRANSFERRED MY ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER FINANCE COMPANY. CURRENTLY I'M (1)MONTH DEFAULT ON MY PAYMENTS OF $100.00 A MONTH AND A BALANCE OF $400.00 LEFT ON MY JUDGEMENT. THIS NEW COMPANY STATES THAT "THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE ME INTEREST ON THE $10,000 BALANCE FROM 7 YEARS AGO BECAUSE THE OLD COMPANY DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS IN PLACE TO CONDUCT BUSINESS THE RIGHT WAY. CAN THEY DO THIS?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
The company has a right to collect all payments and interest due under the judgment. If the new creditor can prove the amount due, it can collect. However, you have a right to demand an accounting and force the creditor to prove its claim.