wallstreetesq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years, Corp litigation, Of Counsel to several global and nationwide corporation

My husband and I are in a business partnership, a farming

Customer Question

My husband and I are in a business partnership, a farming LLC, with his brother who is not married. 5 years ago, they had me sign a quit claim deed to the partnership. However, in the state of WI half of this partnership value remains mine per marital property, correct? I am verifying as now they are purchasing an additional farm via the partnership. I am assuming I retain 50% of these assets by marital law.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 6 years ago.
who owns the shares?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Spouse and I 50% and his brother 50%
you are entitled to 50% of marital assets, however your husband and you have 25% now they would off set, so you still have 25% ownership of the LLC. He would have a right to your 25% stake also that is why they off set. However, if you gave a property which you owned 100% and signed it over to the LLC, you could argue that you should be paid properly for that amount, and you can claim future profits of the LLC.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I still have questions and so will try to locate the operating agreement and consult with the attorney who drafted the LLC. Thanks for your attempts. Customer
the bylaws and operating agreement are important, however in a divorce case have your lawyer ask for not only half of your husbands shares, but future profits, and a lump sum of money that you should be owed due to your quit claiming property to them, that is done througha divorce easier than through corporate law
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the quick advice. Since the 2 brothers are adding on considerable debt, I will check with a local attorney about my assests and liabilities in this situation. I do appreciate your guidance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please return my deposit and do not forward to charge application.