Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I own a bicycle shop and repair bicycles. A returning customer

I own a bicycle shop and repair bicycles. A returning customer brought in three bikes for repair 3 months ago. The bikes were repaired within a week and we called the customer and left a message. We called the customer at least twice more over the next month, but received no return phone call. After two months I sent a letter to the customer about picking up the bikes and stated that If I didn't hear from them in two weeks, I would dispose of the bikes to recoup my repair costs. The letter was returned to me undeliverable. I did a web search and phone book search with no luck. I waited one more month and received no contact from the customer. I sold the bikes last week to help cover the cost of repairs. The customer came into the store today to get the bikes, 3 months to the date that they were brought in. I explained what had happened, they weren't happy. They stated the phone number was not theirs, although we had called it before about previous work done. They had moved to another town. I also have a sign posted in the shop about limited storage space and that we would not be responsible for property left more than 30 days. Where do I stand? Thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
Your were perfectly within your rights to sell the bikes. You have a posted sign giving them notice that bikes have to be picked up within 30 days. You took reasonable steps to contact them without success. I do not think you have any problem.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.